Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Call of the Wild

It's time to get something off my chest.

I want to be good. I really do. The natural man gets to me though. I'm like a comedian looking for someone, anyone, to laugh at my joke. I try to get away from my past, from the things that beset me...try to move forward...be a better person.
I often find myself driving down certain roads, looking for my next fix. I know I should turn back but the pull is too great. I've already been to the bank and withdrawn $100 cash in small bills. I keep rolling, when I should probably be getting home. All the signs are there that I'm heading down the right road for the reason that will take my money. About the time I start to come to my senses, I notice what I've been looking for.
I pull up and and nod to the nameless gatekeeper of my satisfaction. I look around nervously. Part of me hoping I haven't missed out but the other part hoping I have. That's when I realize they have what I need and I'll be going down the rabbit hole after all.
Toys cleaned out of Junior's closet. Baseball cards from Billy's shoebox. An old Nintendo in a box with ten games.
"Oh please let there be a Darth Vader Lego figure at the bottom of this quarter box."
"Maybe a 1977 Dale Murphy rookie is in here with these mid-80s Topps cards."
"Oh my gosh! Zombies Ate My Neighbors for Super Nintendo!"
I tried to be good. I tried to focus on my studies in law school. But the pull to hunt yard sales, flea markets and junk shops is in my blood.
I've fallen off the wagon.

That means it's time for more Flea Market Flippers. For those of you who forgot the rules, well, there are none. I just show you my hand, how much I paid and, if you want, guess which item[s] will sell for the most on ebay (generally within a week). Here are some of my finds this week.

Leather gun belt with holster. Paid $5 from a weird guy selling out of a storage unit:Photobucket


Hasbro G.I. Joe MOBAT Tank 1982 (missing battery cover). Paid $2 from flea market vendor:Photobucket


5 lot Pepsi DC Super Heroes 1976 glasses. Paid $40 for a lot of 30 character glasses, so that would make this lot about $6.67 ($1.33333333 a piece). This was from the same guy at the storage unit. I answered an ad from craigslist for some Warner Bros. and Underdog/Rocky the Flying Squirrel glasses from the 70s and the guy wanted me to meet him at the storage unit to look at them. The super hero glasses were with them (unadvertised) and we took them all. I admit, I was a little worried to meet up with a strange guy on a Saturday afternoon at a storage locker in the middle of nowhere. I told my wife that's where the police should look for my body after the 3 days I was considered R.U.N.N.O.F.T was up:Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...at least I remembered to shrink the pics. SHEESH. I'm too tired and too stupid to go back and change the pics and embed them in the HTML. Just click on them to get the full effect.

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping the glasses win because I had to give them up for this. Go Glasses! If they win does that mean I'll get a couple new Lalaloopsy's? :)

    ReplyDelete