Thursday, September 13, 2012

I See...Caricatures of People

I've always been fascinated with comedians.  It seems like a very hard profession (I guess it's a profession).  The ones in particular that tend to always peak my curiosity (and the ones I critique the most) are impressionists.  Some are better than others, but the elites just blow me away.  I've always felt like I'm an amateur impressionist and because I've made at least 3 people laugh (and only 2 were immediate family members!!!), I think I'm pretty good.

The elite ones can do anyone.  I think my 6-year old could do John Wayne or Jack Nicholson but it takes a real artist to do Robin Williams or David Paterson (the blind New York Governor...try that impression at the next party you're at and watch your friends give a genuine sympathy laugh).  The key with the biggies is that they implement more than the voice.  As a famous Sea Witch once said, you can never underestimate the importance of body language (my kids can't watch that movie because the teenage heroine disobeys her father but that's fodder for another blog post).

My problem is, I do obscure people.  I'm not talking about B or C actors like Robert Pattinson (you heard me) or Zsa Zsa Gabor.  I do law professors and my grandmother.  One of my best impressions is of a foreign student, who I believe to be a pothead.  Maybe that one crosses some ethical line but it creates a good break from studying Criminal Procedure.  The real problem is context.  My audience is narrowed by my, (a) subject matter and (b) audience members who get the reference.  Bye-bye Radio City Music Hall.  

Oh, well I guess I will have to give up this dream and stick to making my wife snicker in public while telling me to stop when I mock the one-armed auctioneer scratching his head with his nub, while asking in his East-Tennessee mountain drawl, "Whatsamatter withit?" because nobody is bidding.


After that self-deprecating/self-awesomeness drivel, let's get to some Flea-Market Flippers

When last we left you, we had a baseball card, payphone lock and Sega video game cartridge vying for the top spot.  The results are thus:
Northern Electric Payphone Lock - paid less than $1.  Sold for $26.00.
Sega Genesis Contra Game - paid $5.  Sold for $32.26.
2012 BP Wil Myers Red Ref. - paid $3 (for the pack).  Sold for $44.00.
All the proceeds go to Feed the Children (mine).

Here are this weeks superstar items:

1963 John Glenn Orbit Thermos ($10 at the flea market)

Scary Game that is frustrating to control ($3 at a variety shop)

Wooden Color Wheel (Made in China, Folks! and only $1.75 at Walmart Clearance)

1 comment:

  1. I'm still snickering about the one armed auctioneer. :) You are pretty amazing with your impressions. Too bad you can't get me right!

    For your flea market flippers, I'm going for the thermos! Come on thermos!!!

    ReplyDelete