Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bad Parenting Skills + This week's FMF

Emma, our 14 year-old, asked if she could have a cupcake. My response:
"Go ask mom; I don't want to be the bad parent."
Bella (13 year-old) chimes in, "Dad, that is being a bad parent."
Yep, I have terrible parenting skills. My biggest terrible parenting skill is lying to my children.

"Dad, where were you?"
"I saw a bear riding a motorcycle and decided to wrestle him."

"Dad, where are you going?"
"The whoopin' store. Do you want one?"

"Dad, where is Ghana?"
"It's a place where bats go to the bathroom."

I won't post some of the more awful things I've said. While most dad's are teaching their kids to be smart, I'm afraid I'm teaching my kids to be smart-alecs. This isn't something I started out doing. In the beginning of my parenting years, I only wanted to confuse my children. You know, teach them that chairs are tables and vice-versa. I wanted them to be scared to eat at McDonald's because of the groundclown they serve (OK, that one should go in the 'lie' category). I figured if I hugged trees and talked about wealth redistribution, they would rebel in their teen years and become Republicans.

So to my children, I say I'm sorry. Hugging Bella while passing gas is not cool. I should have never told Abey he sold on eBay and that he would be shipped with delivery confirmation. I'm sorry Forrest for telling you that the Colorado Rockies hide their steroids under 1st base. Nathan, you didn't really come from the circus (that one may actually be true). Guys, I didn't really escape from a Japanese enemy combatant detention center.

I feel better now. And to reward you kids; tomorrow DISNEY WORLD!!!! You know, that place that sells toys, clothes, groceries and you can get the oil changed in your car.

On to FMF (Flea Market Flippers)
This was a strange week as far as the hunt was concerned. Here are last week's results:
Vintage G.I. Joe H.I.S.S. driver. Paid .10 cents. Sold for .99 cents.
1959 Whitman "Little Black Sambo" children's book. Paid $2.00. Sold for $16.50
14 Wrestling vhs videos. Paid $2.00. Sold for $32.73

This week's offerings:

Jurassic Park Baby T-Rex:
Photobucket

1964 Ashland Products Elephant Squeaker toy:
Photobucket

1971 Mattel Talk Up doll:
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Man, I can't wait for Brandon to come home and read this. You're a character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never ever a dull moment when you are around. I married you because I knew you'd make me and our children laugh. When you leave us for law school, I fear our home will suddenly become serious and boring. Oh, and Bella is going to miss your toots.

    On FMF this week I'm going to guess the winner to be the elephant squeaker toy. If it doesn't win...I'm going to be very upset because I want this old boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget Disney World, I wanna go to the Harry Potter place at Universal Studios!

    ReplyDelete