Sunday, July 10, 2011

Movie Snob (Not walking like an Egyptian) + FMF!

My family thinks I am too picky with my movies. That may need a little explaining. I don't watch R rated or higher. That's an automatic. The nose turning I'm talking about relates to the retread garbage that Hollywood continuously pumps out.
My snobbery probably started with the movie Stargate. I remember walking away thinking that someone mailed that one in. This disappointment was followed several years later with The Mummy, then pretty much every summer blockbuster after that. I've seen a few of the blockbuster movies this year and so far I'm not impressed.
Super 8 - eh. All I could think about was the 'Bad Robot' logo at the beginning and wanting to come home and watch Abram's 'Star Trek' on Netflix (I did. See below for scale worthiness).
Cars 2 - Saturday morning cartoon.
X-Men: First Class - I fell asleep during the climax.
Thor - I have a rule. If I think about the movie the next day, I like it. I didn't remember I'd seen that movie until now.

I've become so picky, my 0-10 scale will only allow movies I like. In other words, I have to actually like the movie for it to have a chance for at least a 1. In the past 5 years only 2 movies have cracked a 7 or higher. Bourne Ultimatum (a guilty pleasure 8) and Dark Knight (a gut wrenching 9). Inception, Taken and Star Trek all made the scale but no higher than 6. Pixar is so good, I gave it it's own scale where they are ranked in order (Cars 2 at the bottom; Incredibles and Ratatouille at the top). Do I have any 10s??? There are 2 - Raiders of the Lost Ark and Master and Commander.

I'm starting to see why my family thinks I'm crazy. Looking back, maybe I had a mummy's curse put on me for dissing movies with pyramids...
Save me Harry Potter 7 part 2, save me!

FMF for the week-
Last weeks offerings were just sad:
Vintage My Little Pony Sleeping Bag - Paid .50 cents. Sold for $10.50 (not bad).
Disney Store Finding Nemo Squirt Plush - Paid .25 cents. DID NOT SELL (crud)
Holliser Cutoff Jeans Shorts - Paid $1.00. Sold for .99 cents (loser)

Hopefully this weeks offerings are better:

Vintage G.I. Joe H.I.S.S. Driver (paid .10 cents)
Photobucket

1959 Whitman "Little Black Sambo" children's book (paid $2.00)
Photobucket

Lot of 14 VHS wrasslin' videos (paid $2.00)
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I won again!! Okay, this week I'm picking 'Little Black Sambo' because it's a book. :)

    The other Harry Potter movies didn't make it on the list??? You are a snob! Mummy curse on you for sure! I think this 'Harry Potter' is going to blow you away. Sadly, I think you're going to be disappointed with what's offered the rest of the year. You do have 'Breaking Dawn part I' coming up. How exciting for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm holding out for 'Breaking Dawn' part II. The anti-climatic climax sounds exhilarating. Can't wait to watch them talk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! That climax is going to blow all others away! I'm sure of it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike, you are a dork. Thor was a great, clean, fun movie. Harry Potter is going to disappoint as it is less and less like the book and Mummy was fun. Maybe you should watch a Jane Austin or Charles Dickens movie, or Jane Eyre. And stop watching all the violent movies. Sheesh.:P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen - Ironic/deadpan humor is not for everybody. Not to mention you didn't pick a FMF winner this week.

    ReplyDelete